Tourism is the “Front Door” to Economic Growth
Investing in Minnesota Tourism is Smart
- Tourism is a $15 billion Minnesota industry annually – that’s almost $41 million per day!
- Tourism generates jobs. The tourism industry employs over 265,000 Minnesotans in full and part-time leisure and hospitality jobs in communities across the state, paying $5.4 billion in wages. Tourism jobs represent 11% of all private sector employment in Minnesota.
- Tourism positively impacts every county in Minnesota.
Tourism Growth is Fueled by Promotion Funding
- Minnesota continues to be substantially outspent by our competitors in the effort to draw visitors and their dollars to other states. Minnesota’s tourism budget ranks 22nd nationwide – well below our key competitors.
- Funding promotion and major event support in Minnesota generates a positive economic impact. Major events across the state shine a spotlight on Minnesota and attract first-time visitors who can return for both tourism and business purposes.
- Losing market share and drawing a smaller share of the traveling public limits the opportunity to grow revenue and jobs that Minnesota tourism generates.
Tourism Investment = Positive Returns
- Investing in Minnesota tourism provides a significant return. Every $1 invested in state tourism advertising generates an estimated $9 in state and local taxes and $92 in traveler spending.
- The face of tourism is diverse, from small family owned businesses to major Minnesota corporations. Minnesota’s leisure and hospitality sector generates $969 million in state and local sales tax each year – approximately 18% of all state sales tax revenue!
- Tourism and related traveler spending supports a wide variety of Main Street businesses and indirectly supports jobs in many other industries as well. Tourism events support enhances community engagement and infrastructure – assets enjoyed by both residents and visitors.
Tourism Growth Opportunities
- Increased tourism funding will provide:
- Increased national awareness of unique Minnesota travel destination opportunities;
- Increased support of local community marketing efforts;
- Expanded global marketing efforts;
- Continued leverage of the positive statewide impact of events.
Source: Explore Minnesota Tourism